13 January 2013

Audio Recording of the Preface to Whitman's 1885 Leaves of Grass



An audio recording by Doug Storm of Whitman's "Preface" to Leaves of Grass (1855)(1:00:32)



Full text of the "Preface" to Leaves of Grass.

America does not repel the past or what it has produced under its forms or amid other politics or the idea of castes or the old religions . . . . accepts the lesson with calmness . . . is not so impatient as has been supposed that the slough still sticks to opinions and manners and literature while the life which served its requirements has passed into the new life of the new forms . . . perceives that the corpse is slowly borne from the eating and sleeping rooms of the house . . . perceives that it waits a little while in the door . . . that it was fittest for its days . . . that its action has descended to the stalwart and wellshaped heir who approaches . . . and that he shall be fittest for his days.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting the recording! It helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome! Were you just interested in this or did you have to read it for a school assignment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this you saved me many hours of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this you saved me many hours of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. best acim podcast

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. 家庭劇院

    ReplyDelete